8.07.2009

on vintage prejudices

I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I read this posting this morning and something really irked me

What I Wore Today 8/7/09

When you scroll down to the comments, a number of people called her look costum-y and grandma like. I know I probably shouldn't get offended on someoneelse's behalf, but I did. First off - I think she looks lovely. I happen to get a little bothered by girls wearing good quality vintage and they don't round of the look with the right hair and accessories. That's just my personal preference though.

My anger isn't even so much for the fact that people didn't like her outfit. Most of those people are probably teeny boppers who would love nothing more than to go outside wearing leggings as pants and base their weekend outfits around whatever magazines tell them to wear and what drunken startlets stumble out of some bar wearing. What really got me burned up was the idea that people call vintage clothing "costum-y" and "granny".

I'm sorry, but MILLIONS of people in the 40s and 50s dressed like that. It's not exclusive to little old ladies. I will never understand where that grandma reference came from. I've never seen a grandma wearing high waisted shorts. Maybe it's just the hair and the needlepoint bag they refer to, but I will never understand. I think she looks youthful and exhuberant and as far from a granny as possible.
Then costum-y. Just because my clothes aren't made of nylon blends and spandex it's a costume?? Poodle skirt and saddle shoes ok I get, but what about her says costume? HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SOMEONE DRESSED LIKE THAT ON HALLOWEEN?!?! I haven't, and I doubt I ever will. There is nothing wrong with wearing quality made clothes that actually fit you properly.

I just had to get that off my chest. I wish more girls would take time to get themselves ready and presentable for the day.

No comments: